Pets and plants over people...

I was feeling green the other day so I went to my downtown recycling station with about 4 months worth of magazines and newspapers... I have more, but that is another story altogether. Downtown is relatively safe, but it is a ghost town after rush hour and this little block is even less vibrant than some of the others.

As I pulled in and the driveway was blocked by a small truck and a lady appeared to be removing some items for recycling. I sat in my vehicle stuck in the street because this environmentalist would not move. After she shot me a look, like "I am not moving...because I am saving the planet..." I pulled in next to her. I got out of my car and noticed an elderly lady in the passenger seat. She was in her 70s or 80s and did not look all that comfy in her surroundings. She also seemed even more tense when we made eye contact. The only other person at the recycling station was a homeless man who also happened to be African American. He was in good spirits and he spoke when I got out of my car.

It took me about 10 minutes to sort an unload my items. I was hungry and about to break a sweat so I was excited about my deed and ready to get out of the area. As I dropped my magazines into the bin the environmentalist tried to start her pickup. It would not turn over. She tried again to start it. It sounded flooded or appeared to be out of gas. I thought about being courteous and going over to see if the environmentalist needed any help. She and grandma gave me that tense look again. I decided at that point that I should leave. Not to be mean, but just because I assumed that my kindness would really not be appreciated. If either one of them had said, "Can you help us or make a call for us sir..." I would have done it. However, they didn't so I didn't. Will race relations worsen because of this, probably not...c'est la vie. I just know my mom would have been smart enough to ask for help. I really hope that I read this situation wrong.


I am sure that the two ladies made it out of downtown safely. They seemed pretty resourceful.

What would you have done? Do some people really value pets and plants over other people?

Comments

  1. I would have helped them anyone just to show them that they need me more than I need them. Also, I am hopeful that my good deeds will result in some good karma for me somewhere along the way. However, once you factor in the hungry factor....they may not have gotten so lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts