LIKE MY DAD

A few weeks ago I stopped by my brother's house and he happened to be cutting the grass. It was particularly amusing, not because it was super hot, but because my brother is turning into my dad.
He and our father always had some kind of tension. My brother took on most of my mom's genetics and as a result was taller and lighter in complexion. They were at odds about everything from money, to curfews, to food, to chores, and everything in between. I can remember arguments about his hair being too long or his jeans being too flashy and him tearing up too many cars. Over the years you could see my brother rebel and try to do things as differently from my father as possible. It worked for a while, but now...now that my brother is "older" he is turning into my dad...our dad.

Now he doesn't wear the blue and white that our dad primarily wears. I do that. I am the conservative one. He was the rebel, until a few years ago. Now that he is raising a daughter he is turning into our pot bellied, ill tempered, bad diet having father. It has been so amusing to see and really funny to see them get a little bit closer.

I have to constantly remind myself that I want to live my life a little bit differently, but he didn't turn out so bad...so I guess it is not so bad.

Comments

Popular Posts