Obama Wins...

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I AM HAPPY THAT THIS MOMENT HAS COME IN MY LIFETIME...

I had to stay up a few more hours, just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. America has elected an African American for the Presidency of the United States of America and his name is Barack Obama. The world was watching and I think that many of us were hopeful that we could, but cautious that we (as a country) may not have done the right thing.

I stayed at home tonight to enjoy the moment in the comfort of my home. I wanted to go out and celebrate, but I had reservations about celebrating this moment in the wrong way. Sure, I am delighted to have a President that looks like me, but I also realize that while we celebrate an African American's rise to the highest office in the country there are some people in my country that are pained by the notion. So much so that they boo his name at the McCain rally in Arizona, so much so that I got a hateful text message after sending out a YES WE CAN! text message.

Someone replied to me: "Fuck you the world is going to end on December 21st bc you voted for Obama. Thanks a lot you ass."

How far have we become? Pretty far. How far do we have to go? Pretty far.

But as you listen to Obama speak. You quickly realize that he knows this. You realize it and it makes you want to be there to help him. We as Americans must rally around this man because he is our President. He represents hope and promise to people of all races and in this moment the country once again represents hope and promise to people all over the world. Congratulations Barack. Congratulations Mr. President.



Comments

Popular Posts