Election Day 2008



Working at one of my precincts on election day November 2, 2004 in Tallahassee, Florida.

I haven't slept well in a couple of days. I have been anxious. I got up today and tried to go and vote and there were hundreds of people in line. I drove through the parking lot and snapped a couple of pictures. I wondered if the White people were voting for Obama or McCain. I suppose that it was McCain, since our state is red. It took me back to 2004, when I did GOTV work in Tallahassee. Election mornings are bittersweet. They are the end of long, hard days and when you sit down to watch the votes come in you root for you candidate, but you have hope in the process. Seeing what happened in 2000 made me want to get involved four years later. I am proud of the work that we did to deliver a blue county. I just wish the outcome had been different.

Last night I turned on BBC tv and they were talking about the election in America. They were talking about the numbers. They were talking about our country with hope and optimism. Slavery and our past has stained our image and I have been in places around the world where I have been asked, "What is it like to be Black in America?"

I just left the precinct and the mood was somber. My area is heavily Republican. I am happy though that people got out and got involved in the process. I was able to get in and get out in 10 minutes. God Bless America.

Comments

Popular Posts